A vast majority of us are guilty of dwelling on our pasts, me included. I look back on my childhood with anger and resentment, thanks to my biological mother and former foster mother; one being incapable and selfish, the other being manipulative and cruel.
I’d always been a little adult instead of a child when it came to mothering my sisters but, at times, I wish I could have experienced everything that all other kids my age had. My tender age was only ever apparent to me when I was faced with the fury of my stepfather. I was finally taken away from it all but found myself even deeper into Hell with a woman who saw me as a scapegoat and emotional punching bag. My only solace were the four walls of my bedroom.
Neither were very good role models for a young girl.
But (and it’s a big but) I’m thankful for the valuable lessons I learned from them both:
- Because of my bio mother’s incompetence, I learned how to care for a baby at the age of 6 and remember it all to this day,
- Because of her selfish choices I know never to choose a man over my children (in fact, my children will always be my upmost priority),
- Thanks to my foster mother’s constant furious screaming, I know to stay calm and talk to them when my kids do something wrong,
- Thanks to her obvious hatred I know what unconditional love will feel like when I look at my own children,
- And thanks to both, I know that when my child spends all their time in their room, it’s a sign that something is troubling them, and they need me.
My biggest fear has always been ending up as a bad mother and at times it drags me into paranoia, but deep down I know that my children will be loved, happy, and free to be themselves.
Disclaimer: This website does not provide medical advice. The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.