What is Period Tracking?
Period tracking involves feeding information into apps or keeping notes on your calendar about when you have your period and what it was like. This enables you or the app you are using to estimate when your next period is. It also helps you track the severity of your pain or the heaviness of your flow. This helps you know what pain medication to have in stock and the pads and tampons to buy.
Reasons to Track your Period
- Comfort – Knowing when your next period is due allows you to relax as you will not be caught off guard with it starting suddenly.
- Preparation – Knowing when your period is due will mean you won’t be caught out without pads or tampons as you will know to have them in stock and carry them with you. Read our post on Yoppie to have these products delivered to your door at a discount!
- Pregnancy – Whether you want to prevent pregnancy or encourage it, period tracking is very important. A missed period is often one of the first signs of pregnancy. Therefore you will know to take a pregnancy test or visit a doctor. If you are trying to get pregnant, then many apps will tell you when your fertile period is during your cycle. This is the time when your body is most likely to enable pregnancy. This is also known as ovulating.
- Health – Your period is controlled by your hormone levels which are affected by many bodily functions such as stress, diet, etc. With tracking your period you will also be able to track your hormone levels. This will help you understand what your body is capable of at that point during your cycle. Another health benefit of period tracking is that a missed period can often indicate that something is wrong in your body. Stress and an unhealthy diet alongside other issues can stop your period. Therefore if you miss a few periods it is advised that you contact your GP or other healthcare professional.
Period Tracking App Recommendations
There are many apps on the App Store which help you track your period. Apps are very helpful as they retain data about your period which can help to more accurately track it.
Here are some suggestions for you to download and start using today:
- Clue – Clue allows you to track pretty much everything to do with your period, such as pain, flow and even period related breakouts. It offers an easy to use interface which is why it is one of the most used apps for period tracking.
- Flo – Flo is another very popular app for period tracking. It takes the information you put into it and creates graphs which show you when your period is due and other helpful functions such as ovulation and PMS symptoms. Flo also allows you to track your pregnancy if you need to.
- Eve by Glow – Eve allows you to track your period alongside your sex life and other activities such as mood, and exercise. It has an attractive and easy to use interface.
- Fitbit – While this app is not solely used for period tracking, it does have the ability. For those of you who already track your step count and exercise through your Fitbits it can be very useful. Having the option to track your periods through the same app can save space on your devices and help you access all your information at once.
This is not a definitive list. There are many apps available for period tracking so there is bound to be one that will work for you.
Did this article inspire you to start tracking your period? If so let us know in the comments below.