Women in comedy – the female comedians
It has been a challenge for women to break into comedy, the male dominated scene making it a slow and steady progress. Even now, if you look for stand up on streaming websites, you might notice a prominent disparity between the number of men and women.
In sitcoms, films, late night television and stand-up comedy, we can see a steady increase in the number of women not only entering the field but succeeding in it. These days, women are almost spoiled for choice, with numerous female stand-up comedians with their own unique style and perspectives that appeal to various audiences.
In today’s times, we need a little more laughter in our day to day lives, so here are the female stand-ups that you can watch on Netflix UK right now. Laugh away, darlings.
10 Female stand up comedians to watch now
- Ali Wong: Recognised from film as well as stand-up, Chinese-Vietnamese comic Ali Wong talks about motherhood, marriage and sex.
- Iliza Schlesinger: American comedian Iliza Schlesinger puts her unique take on femininity, weddings, marriage, dating and life in general.
- Katherine Ryan: Canadian born comedian and actress based in the UK, Ryan is widely recognised for appearances on various panel shows and stand-up tours with her quick wit and strong opinions.
- Amy Schumer: A well-known name in the industry, appearing in various movies, American comedian Schumer draws on dating and relationships to marriage and pregnancy with her familiar brand of comedy.
- Tiffany Haddish: American actress, author and stand-up Tiffany Haddish talks about womanhood and the road to success with her unique perspectives on religion, upbringing and age.
- Gina Yashere: British comedian Gina Yashere talks on everything from childhood to the environment in front of British and American audiences alike.
- Joan Rivers: One the most famous female comics, writers and actresses in the business, River’s stand-up is uniquely controversial and acerbic.
- Dawn French: Beloved British icon from the Vicar of Dibley and French and Saunders, French’s stand-up shares her stories with her familiar honesty and sharp humour.
- Whitney Cummings: American actress, writer and producer, Cummings’ stand-up explores feminism, the modern world and everything in between.
- Ladies Up: A four-part series, featuring four rising Indian stand-ups, Prashasti Singh, Kaneez Surka, Supriya Joshi and Niveditha Prakasam.
Why Is Laughter is Good for Us?
- Laughing releases endorphins, the feel-good chemicals, including serotonin.
- By decreasing stress hormones and increasing immune cells and antibodies, laughter is a powerful medicine for our immune systems.
- Laughter relaxes the body, relieving physical tension and stress.
- Mentally, alongside those handy endorphins, laughing eases anxiety and stress and gives us an overall mood boost that helps us defuse negative emotions and improves our social connections.
Who are some of your favourite comedians or what makes you laugh, Darlings?